Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Yamba - Day 11

No map today but lots of walking - 7.2kms of it.

We started our walk at Pippis Cafe with a nice hot mocha. After ten days, Pippi's is just like home with staff addressing us by name ... once they had stopped calling us Rose's sister and brother! From there we walked to the lighthouse, down the stairs to Turner's Beach and out along the 1km long break wall and almost to the end. The last hundred metres is rougher terrain and although being encouraged by Sue to complete the journey, I wouldn't leave my less able wingman. We walked back past the new works being completed to stabilise the sand banks which have been so badly eroded at the eastern end of Whiting Beach and the replacement of the stairs which used to be there. From there, past the Calypso Caravan Park and then back into town for lunch.

For a second day, we fed Sam, the Staffordshire terrier.

Back up Beach Street (all the hills are steep to get home).

Late in the afternoon, we grabbed takeaway coffee from Pippi's and watched the ocean from one of the seats above Main Beach which have been placed in memory of deceased locals. As sunset approached we retreated to the Pacific Hotel where red wine was consumed whilst Sue researched activities in London and I became more enthralled in Mortag's journey from a coerced lackey of a future government which sought to exercise control of its population into a free thinker wanting to create dissent and manufacture change. Ray Bradbury wrote science fiction the way others wrote fact.

At the appointed hour, we walked back into town and met Lance, John and Cheryl. We purchased suitable quantities of fish and chips, braved Coldstream St and potential heart attacks and then walked down the dark and steeply sloped path to Main Beach, where we found a bench to sit and eat. I stuck with my fish and chips as I've always found benches give me indigestion. Afterwards, we repaired to Namanula and shared nibbles, drinks and some very funny stories about flying.

As John was heading off in the morning to return to university, we farewelled him. He has grown into a fine man, full of appreciation for his wider family and a desire to stay connected to them. His last few years have been difficult - having your family rent always is - but he appears to be coping well. We thoroughly enjoyed his company. It would also be likely to be the last we would see of Lance and Cheryl on this trip. Despite living here, they are busy with work and plans to build and then establish their B&B business at Ashby, inland of Yamba.

For once, we aren't baulking at returning home because so much more beckons in just a few weeks and in between we have Sarah and David visiting and much to still have ready before stepping on that Emirates flight on the evening of the 9th August.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated before being posted.